Friday, May 22, 2009

Toronto, Ont.

Yep, that's right, that's where Maya, her papa and I have now been for more than 24 hours. We're here with Ahmed's parents and Maya's now met tonnes of new cousins, aunts, uncles, great aunts, great uncles, second cousins, third cousins and has enjoyed every minute of it. She's a happy little flea, and has all these wonderful people and toys to play with, so she's loving it. And she's gone straight back to her papa as if he'd hardly been gone.

Getting Maya's passport was a doddle (after a minor drama of going to the wrong passport office, despite numerous checks on the matter) after all these crazy months.

24 hours after the application was made on Monday morning, it was ready to be picked up. I have to admit I wasn't really ready for something to be done so quickly, so we waited until Wednesday to pick it up. Actually, I wandered back to the passport office on Tuesday, only to discover the office closed at 3.00pm and we were there at 3.10pm. Ah well, we weren't leaving till Thursday anyway, so what's the rush?

Maya and I had four days in Mexico City, checking out the sights, eating in cool cafes, going to the zoo - biggest hits for Maya: the porcupines, lemurs and prairie dogs, of all the strange things. Hippo - yeah, whatever. Elephant - yeah, seen them in books. Lions - nah. Rhino - nup. Funny what things interest a 14-month old.

Ahmed left Abu Dhabi on Thursday morning, 14 hours later, arrived in Toronto airport, and nearly gave his mother, father and sister heart attacks by surprising them by being there. Then a couple of hours later, we popped out of the plane, had the easiest customs walk-through ever. I admit, I was worried. Baby on Mexican passport, mother on NZ passport, both of us with coughs (yes, that's right, arriving from Mexico...) But, it was also a doddle. What's going on? The stars are truly lining up and shining an easy path for us. It's nice for a change.

Back to AD on Thursday, if Maya's visa is ready, which it should be, then back to our 'real life', whatever that may be...!

4 comments:

Suz said...

I am so Happy for you! All of this time has been worth having your baby in your arms. Getting off that airplane and seeing your family is the best feeling in the world. I tear up just thinking about it! Enjoy!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Ahmed, Emma and Maya,
Having the three of you in Toronto for a week was the best present we could have dreamed of. Thank you
Maya is truly the most adorable, lovable, bright, curious and friendly little doll, with Tigger in her arms.
Everyone here fell in love with her instantly.
We will miss you.
Enjoy the rest of your nornal lives together
Dadima

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and may I say what a beautiful baby she is. I found your blog while searching the internet looking for ways to adopt from Mexico. If it's not too much trouble, do you mind emailing me the contact information to the attorney you used in Tijuana? We live in San Diego and we're finding it difficult to find people to assist us with this. Do you mind emailing me at bestrate @ san.rr.com? Thank you kindly.

marie-claude said...

Hello Emma ,first of all I want to congratulate you and Ahmed on your new addition to your family ,the beautiful Maya !
My name is Marie Claude , I live in abu dhabi and my husband and I have the same dream as you and Amhed has finaly fulfill .
I just found your blog and read it all. I am sure you must be really busy with Maya , but I was wondering if you could give me some advice and maybe some contact to help us to start our big adeventure ?
My email adress is mcbc330@hotmail.com .
All my best to your family and hope to hear from you soon.
Marie-claude and Brendan