Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Landed

I'm now in Tijuana. Our wee baby is sleeping? eating? crying? somewhere in the same city.
I arrived in San Diego and was picked up by Pepi, who true to his word, was waiting in a red cap at the airport. He's tall and skinny with scruffy blond hair and piercing blue eyes, probably in his late 40s. Not quite the mental picture of a Mexican guy. We will be renting one of Pepi's wacky houses in Playas de Tijuana, a suburb near the beach and US border. Check out his wacky website: www.homeshotel.com
He chatted and chatted all the way back to Tijuana (only about 20 minutes drive!), and I have vague recollections of the following topics: reincarnation, vegetarianism, karma, US politics, baby formula, price of a sandwich in France, Greek fiance, fish, turtles and who knows what else? I was nodding and agreeing and all the while thinking, our baby is close by, our baby is close by.
When we arrived, I went to meet Pamela in the house next door, who is in the final stages of adopting her now six-month old baby girl. She had bought essential food items for me at the suggestion of the lovely Heike in Switzerland, knowing I wouldn't really have time to do that before bed. That was a lovely welcome, as I was too tired and disoriented to know what I was doing. Pamela and her daughter (now officially hers!) are off to Mexico City early in the morning to organise the passport. The last step. Oh I can't wait to be doing the same!!
But first, I need to get some sleep and then actually meet Maya.

No comments: