Thursday, November 27, 2008

Floods of rain and tears

Woke up this morning to pouring rain, which is a rare sight in this dry land. Also to no car and no internet connection. My world is getting smaller and smaller by the day. Maya and I are now restricted to walking distance journeys. We live on one of those suburban complexes, gated community, I think it's called, and the options for walking are pretty slim. Anyway. How did we get ourselves into this pickle? Or how did I get us into this pickle, Maya does nothing but smile and charm her way through life!!

Yesterday, we were in Playas for the afternoon, going to Gymboree and then lunch with Anna and Yara. When we went back to the car, it wasn't there, and the tow truck was busy towing another badly parked car away too. In my defence, (ah, there's always an excuse, and I bet those pick-up truck guys have heard them all, not that it makes a fig of difference) I parked correctly, then noticed all the other cars behind slightly up on the kerb (one of those slightly raised kerbs, not a sharp step kind) since the street is so narrow. So I moved the car (duh!!! never again) in line with the other cars. Of course, being the first car in the row, mine got towed.

I'm thanking my lucky stars (though I'm not really 100% sure that I actually have any lucky stars. I'd like to swap my unlucky stars for some lucky ones) that Anna was with me. She leapt into action, insisting on driving with me to the tow yard with the guy who was coming to pick her up from Playas. A fellow from her husband's work. Then, when we got the unpleasant news that the car owner (Pepi) has to pick up the car, she got on the phone to her husband to find out what to do. Pepi is away communing with his spirituality in India for the next two months. Hector promised to sort it all out the next day, so I've left all the car documents, etc, etc with Anna. Now just waiting on tenterhooks to find out if Hector can use his charm and influence to get the car back.

I'm coming to realise that it's not the end of the world to accept people's help. I'm such a stubbornly independent type. No doubt in my old age I will struggle across streets with fifteen bursting-at-the-seams shopping bags refusing help from some kind soul who's offering. And yet, I'll jump at the chance to help out someone else in need. Silly girl.

Anyway, all this latest nonsense, on top of an unbelievably up and down week in our adoption story (more about that another time) has reduced me to an emotional train wreck. My kind neighbour Marco, who's been persistently trying to help solve the internet connection issues, simply asked me how I was yesterday, when I was outside trying again to connect. This produced a flood of tears and now he's lent me his laptop to use. The signal's still weak, but just strong enough to not constantly cut out at least. I went to pick up the letter to take to the phone company to set up the phone line, so in theory, all these internet woes will end. The guy in the office asked me how I was, in the way you ask strangers or customers or the person on the street how they are. Another flood of tears. Hearing the kind and familiar voice of my mother-in-law this morning on the phone: another flood of tears.

Keep telling myself: one day, you'll look back at this time with fond memories and smile. Can't wait, can't wait. Bring on that day. Bring it on. We're ready for it!!!

No comments: