Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nannie Prue

For the past couple of weeks Maya’s Nannie Prue has been here and what a bottle-washing, baby-bathing, vacuum-cleaning, coffee-drinking whirlwind she’s been!

Maya and I arrived back from Ixtapa on Saturday evening. Early the next morning I dropped Maya off with Guadalupe and went to San Diego to pick up mum, who had cleverly negotiated the Southern California transport system to make her way from LAX to San Diego central train station. She arrived fresh as a daisy, all in one piece, and with her luggage. In April, mum’s suitcases decided to break loose and have some solo time and arrived two days later, spitting out her camera somewhere along the way. Just like my suitcases spat out my two crappy cellphones in Mexico City on the way back from Abu Dhabi. I think those techno-thieving baggage handlers will be disappointed with my $15 phones that don’t take photos, don’t have internet access, can’t do anything much other than phone and text.


Since my mum’s last visit, I’ve discovered a number of great little cafes, so I wrote a list and we gradually made our way down it during mum’s stay. If you ever happen to be in search of a good coffee (and cake, not to forget the cake!) in the Tijuana area, here are my recommendations:

Tijuana:
½ Naranja Café – my all time favourite. Mario is the friendliest guy ever, and makes an iced coffee that I’ll gladly drive across town for. Comfy sofas, great food, funky bathrooms, wacky artworks and magazines in English (some of which I donated).
Saverios Caffe – Yummiest Italian food in town, and a very dangerous cake cabinet with panna cotta, tiramisu, divine chocolate cakes and more…
Café de la Flor – Again, killer cakes.

Playas:
Ross Café – an old favourite, with the super friendly waiter, Mario. Seems to be a café name. Walnut and fig cake. Java coffee. That devilish combo was my lunch for about three weeks straight, till I started to feel a bit revolting.
Lat 32 – supremely unfriendly service from two very nonchalant girls, whose job is sit around looking surly. But with gorgeous big leather sofas that take half the morning just to climb back out of, an ocean front setting, and its crazy décor, I can’t resist. The coffee’s not half bad, either.

Rosarito:
Cha Cha’s Café – Run by the lovely Cha Cha, whose jalapeño jelly proceeds go towards the upkeep of one of Sister Clare’s orphanages. Her apple pies are hit and miss. If you hit, it’s a light, fluffy, appley mouthful of heaven. If you miss, it’s a tough crust and the ice cream’s run out.

Ensenada:
Zu Taza – Great coffees and sandwiches. Sofas. What’s not to love?
Café – That’s the only name on the sign of this funny little hole in the wall. Which, in fact, doesn’t have the best coffee in town, but is full of atmosphere and art, all kinds of insects and creatures sculpted out of iron all over the walls.

Ok, tourist guide is over.

Maya and her Nana had a ball getting to know each other and the cafes of Tijuana are sad and lonely without my partner in coffee. We miss you Nannie Prue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LAT 32 IS A VERY GOOD COFFEE SPOT YOU WRONG VERY, YOU DONT NOW NOTHING ABOUT COFFEE.